The Vancouver Scrum

On the move!

Agh! You’re still here? My new site and weblog, ianking.ca is now up and running; new posts are building up over there, never to be mirrored here. Go! What are you waiting for? All the stuff worth keeping has been migrated over to the new server, and I don’t anticipate making any more posts here.

Bloggers and webmasters: Update your links! Simply replace vancouverscrum.blogspot.com with www.ianking.ca in your blogrolls or bookmarks to point to the new site. Old posts will remain on this server for as long as the people at Blogger/Google allow them to remain; unfortunately, I’m not going to bother to come up with any way of converting permalinks on this blog to their corresponding posts on the new site. Yes, I plead laziness. I also realize the irony of switching away from Blogger just it starts to add features that the demanding blog nerds insist upon.

Thanks for reading and linking, and see you over at ianking.ca!

—Ian King, December 13, 2004

Friday, January 10, 2003

 
Holy s***!

B.C. premier Gordon Campbell has been charged with drunk driving in Maui. Maui police arrested the premier, who is vacationing there over the holidays, early Friday morning. Campbell posted bail of US$257 and released several hours later. A preliminary court date has been set for March 25.



Campbell apologized to his family, his colleagues, and the people of British Columbia in a statement released by his office this afternoon. The statement said that Campbell did not intend to contest the charge.

University of Victoria political science professor Norman Ruff doesn't think that Campbell should step aside as premier while this issue is being resolved. "This doesn't relate to his performance as premier, it is related to his personal behavious while on vacation," Ruff commented. He also noted that Campbell has only been charged, and this should not be seen to be proof of any misconduct.

Former NDP official Bill Tieleman disagrees. Tieleman notes that it is normal for cabinet ministers to relinquish their post while they are under investigation. Campbell suspended backbench MLA Tony Bhullar from the Liberal caucus in late 2001 when Bhullar was charged following a disturbace at his parents' home.

CBC: Premier Campbell jailed for drunk driving in Maui
canada.com: B.C. premier chrged with drunk driving
CP/CANOE: B.C. premier charged with drunk driving in Hawaii, police say

Gordon Campbell's statement released Friday, January 10, 2003

I have made a serious mistake, and I want to apologize to everyone including my family, my colleagues and the people of British Columbia.

Last night, I was returning home from dinner with friends, and the Maui police pulled me over. I was arrested and charged with driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. I do not intend to contest the charge.

I will make myself available to the media Sunday, Jan. 12, at 3 p.m. at a location to be determined.

I'm back!

After a 3 weeks away from blogging, I'll be posting regularly again. The Christmas period, and its aftermath, tend to keep one away from triviality like web logs, or the web in general. Faithful readers should be glad to learn that I have a life outside of this little thing, but just as glad that I've returned. Thanks for your patience, and I apologize for not putting up some sort of "Gone Fishin'" sign on the site over the holidays.
Comments: Post a Comment

Reports, opinions, columns, and anything else on this site, are © 2002-2003 Ian King unless otherwise noted. Permission granted to use material on this site for non-commercial purposes provided that the work is attributed to the original author. All other uses require specific permission of the original author. Contact weblog owner with any inquiries.

Feel free to link to this web log. The management likes getting lots of traffic.